[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): AU troops say seize Somalia al Shabaab base

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 19:46:36 +0100

AU troops say seize Somalia al Shabaab base

Fri Mar 2, 2012 2:09pm GMT

* Based used to train al Shabaab fighters

* At least five killed in fighting

By Abdi Sheikh

MOGADISHU, March 2 (Reuters) - African Union and Somali government troops
seized control of an al Shabaab insurgent base in the north of the capital
on Friday, a move the AU troops said would reduce the rebels' capacity to
launch attacks in the city.

The capture of the Maslah training camp means that the AU Mission in Somalia
(AMISOM) and the Transitional Federal Government now control the main road
linking Mogadishu to central Somalia.

The government has already captured the main road from the capital to the
southern towns.

"In a swift move that started this morning, the Uganda Contingent helped
capture Maslah which the extremists have been using as a base to launch
attacks on the city," AMISOM said in a statement.

AMISOM Force Commander, Maj. Gen. Fred Mugisha said the operation "extended
the city's defenses and will deny the terrorists important ground from which
they have been attacking the population."

The coordinator of ambulance services in Mogadishu, Ali Musa, said at least
five civilians, some of them children, were killed and ten others were
wounded in the exchange of shellfire.

"The groups are inhumanely fighting over the civilians who have just fled
from al Shabaab areas," he told Reuters.

"I am sure the death toll is higher - we have not reached all the corners of
north Mogadishu. Most of our ambulances broke down and the blind shelling
was terrible."

AMISOM spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Paddy Ankunda, told Reuters that two
Ugandan soldiers were also wounded in the fight.

Al Qaeda-affiliated al Shabaab rebels, who want to impose a harsh
interpretation of sharia law on the Horn of Africa nation, have waged a
five-year campaign to drive Somalia's weak government from power.

The shaky Western-backed government is supported by about 9,000 Ugandan and
Burundian AU troops and now controls much of the coastal city of Mogadishu.

Last week, the U.N. Security Council voted to expand AMISOM to nearly 18,000
soldiers.

Al Shabaab is battling Kenyan and Ethiopian troops to hold on to territory
in southern Somalia and against AU troops around the capital. Ethiopian and
Somali troops seized the strategic city of Baidoa from al Shabaab last week.
(Editing by George Obulutsa)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved